WLIK IS CELEBRATING 60 YEARS
A milestone was reached by WLIK in April of this year when we celebrated our 60th Anniversary of service to Newport and Cocke County, 1954-2014. Our celebration will continue throughout the year.
Some of the highlights of our 60 years include:
- 1954—WLIK was the third station put on the air by East Tennessee Radio Pioneer Arthur Wilkerson in the prime era of radio’s expansion.
- 1954 – one of the earliest affiliates of the Vol Network.
- Wilkerson began one of the earliest interactive programs call “Swap & Shop” that still runs today at 6:45 and 11:35 a.m..
- 1958- WLIK suffered the misfortune of a fire. We were back on the air within 24 hours
- 1962 – WLIK introduced a remote broadcast unit called “The Music Mobile” . A new innovation at that time
- 1963 Dwight Wilkerson became manager of WLIK – in radio now 54 years
- 1968 – To be a greater asset to the community WLIK began fulltime service. And WLIK began the first broadcast of high school sports in our community
- 1970 – Johnnie Swann began work at WLIK
- 1984 – WLIK became a CNN affiliate – a fledgling network then and now the worldwide leader in news
- 1986 – WLIK became an Atlanta Braves affiliate
- 1992 – ended an era of playing vinyl record and started using CD’s
- 1998 – Founder and only owner of WLIK Arthur Wilkerson died. WLIK is still family owned
- 1999 – Installed automation equipment and changed formats from country to oldies of the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s.
- 2000 – Angie Wilkerson, Dwight’s daughter and granddaughter of the founder joined the operation.
- 2002 – WLIK upgraded it’s entire operation; installed new equipment from studio to transmitter.
- 2004 – WLIK’s 50th Anniversary – same location – same ownership --Rick Brooks joined the staff at WLIK.
- 2014 -- WLIK celebrates 60 years. Still the one -- same location - same ownership.
WLIK prides itself in it’s effort to work with the community for various projects over the last 60 years. WLIK assists with fund raisers such as the Kiwanis Radiothon and Chamber projects as well as other special projects which benefit the community
WLIK © 2014. All Rights Reserved.